Published on September 20th, 2013 | by Peter
Lentil Paste Recipe
Filedownload Error: file 'http://www.globalretreatcentre.org/soulstories/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Global-Retreat-Centre-Lentil-Paste.pdf' does not exist!
A big favourite here at GRC, the secret recipe is no longer a secret!
Global Retreat Centre Lentil & Tomato Paste
Makes 1 jar
1 large mug of red lentils. (Wash and rinse in hot water until the water is clean) 1 heaped dessert spoon of tomato puree
1 heaped teaspoon of yeast extract
1 heaped teaspoon of Oregano
1 heaped teaspoon of Basil
1 heaped teaspoon of Mixed herbs Half a teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of paprika
Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
A drop of soya sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
You can of course adjust the ingredients according to your own particular taste.
Method (7 steps to success)
1. Place all the ingredients into a saucepan with enough cold water to be about 3 to 4 cm above the mixture. Do not use too much water; you can always add extra if necessary as the mixture cooks.
2. Bring to the boil.
3. Simmer until all the water is absorbed and the lentils are cooked. Stir the mixture from time to time so that it doesn’t stick to the pan. Add more water if required.
4. Liquidise the mixture (a hand blender is the best tool to use for this) until it is all smooth like a paste.
5. Leave to cool
6. Add some olive oil and mix in. If the mixture is too dry add some boiling water. It should be a firm but soft paste that will spread easily on fresh bread.
7. When complete jar and refrigerate. It should last for 10 days in the fridge.